- Site Feedback
- IDEA Sites
- Digital Freedoms
- International Justice
- 2012 Presidential Debates Guide
- Asia Youth Forum
- Big Apple Cogers
- Debate Changing Europe
- Debate in the Neighborhood
- Debating and Producing Media
- Debating the Future of Youth in Africa and Europe
- Dialogue without borders
- Digital Debating Blog
- Free Speech Debate
- Global Youth Forum
- Global Debate and Public Policy Challenge
- International Public Policy Forum
- Online Mentoring
- Securing Liberty Series
- Youth and Sports Mega-Events
IDEA Digital Freedoms Project: Call for an Expert/Consultant
Submitted by Manos Moschopoulos on 28 February 2013
IDEA-UK is seeking a a project consultant, who will be able to provide expert input into the Digital Freedoms project throughout its duration and at the IDEA Global Youth Forum, held in Galway, Ireland in August 2013.
The International Debate Education Association (IDEA) is a global network of organisations who believe that debate promotes mutual understanding and informed citizenship around the world.
IDEA offices around the world implement youth-centred programs and initiatives, with a special focus on developing young people’s civic skills, empowering young people (particularly young people from disadvantaged and marginalized backgrounds), engaging young people in community and building trust between young people and the authorities. IDEA provides trainings, develops curricula, organises events and provides support to national and local youth and debate initiatives, including development of on-line tools for debating community at www.idebate.org
IDEA-UK is a member of IDEA network and is a registered UK charity (registration number: 113945), whose main activities include development of on-line educational tools on www.idebate.org and organization of large international debate events for young people.
About the Digital Freedoms Project
Thanks to a grant from the Open Society Foundations, IDEA-UK will run a year- long educational project focusing on young people (secondary school and university students) internationally, aiming at engaging them in the process of learning and discussion about digital rights and freedoms. The project aims at making the discussion of digital rights and freedoms more accessible to the young people, who often do not have the experience or knowledge to understand issues related to access to knowledge, intellectual property reform, open government, free expression and privacy. Often, debates about these issues use technical terms and are shaped for limited audiences, minimising awareness about legislation and developments that affect the lives of millions around the world.
As part of the project IDEA-UK will set up a website dedicated to the theme of digital freedoms, featuring resources as well as tools for moderated discussions and debates. IDEA will also organize a two week long youth forum in Ireland (August 2013) - the IDEA Global Youth Forum (youthforum.idebate.org). The Forum a training and competition debating event for high school students aged 14 and up, bringing together over 300 young people and educators from over 50 countries. Each year a theme is chosen, which is the basis for the debate motions set in the competitions and the discussions held as part of the training workshops. The 2013 Forum theme is digital rights.
Project consultant - duties
IDEA is seeking a project consultant, who will be able to provide expert input into the Digital Freedoms project throughout its duration and at the IDEA Global Youth Forum, held in Galway, Ireland in August 2013. Specific responsibilities include:
- Contribute as well as advise and review resources created for the Digital Freedoms Project
- Suggest partner organisations for the project and help establish a network of academics and scholars
- Participate in on-line discussions and debates as a moderator and contributor
- Contribute to the preparation of trainers and materials for events linked to the Digital Freedoms theme, such as the IDEA Youth Forum
During the IDEA Global Youth Forum, the project consultant will have the following responsibilities:
- To participate in the development of training materials for the Youth Forum with the Curriculum Committee.
- To form part of the pre-forum training programme by assisting in the generation of content for the forum website, in text, video and/or audio format.
- To be present at the Forum in August in Galway, Ireland. Whilst at the forum their duties would include:
- Being part of the training core for the Coaches and Judges track of the forum, leading topic specific workshops
- Giving expert lectures to the debaters on the forum topic
- Assisting the Curriculum Committee in implementation of the training, including but not limited to training the trainers, making additions or changes to forum materials, providing an overview of the materials as a whole.
- Contributing to the post forum efforts of IDEA, including, but not limited to
- Workshops forming a digital archive post event
- Contributing to the post forum course book
- Assisting with other queries relating to the forum topic.
The consultant will be expected to dedicate between 16-32 consultancy days between March and August, including between 6-12 days spent at the Forum in Galway. The consultant will be able to work from home and will have flexible hours – except for the time spent at the Forum.
IDEA is seeking an expert on the digital rights freedoms that will meet the following minimum requirements:
Minimum MA degree
Expertise in the area of digital rights and freedoms or equivalent (human rights, privacy laws, copyright laws), etc.
Interest in education and working with young people
Self-discipline and motivation and ability to work independently
Excellent command of the English language
Commensurate with experience from 250 USD a day (for the junior expert) to 500 USD a day for a senior expert. A junior expert will be expected to work up to 32 days between February and August 2013 and a senior expert will be expected to work up to 16 days.
Please send your CV and motivation letter to email@example.com by 8 March 2013.