- Site Feedback
- IDEA Sites
- Digital Freedoms
- 2012 Presidential Debates Guide
- Asia Youth Forum
- Big Apple Cogers
- Debate Changing Europe
- Debate in the Neighborhood
- Debating and Producing Media
- Debating the Future of Youth in Africa and Europe
- Dialogue without borders
- Digital Debating Blog
- Free Speech Debate
- Global Youth Forum
- Global Debate and Public Policy Challenge
- International Public Policy Forum
- Online Mentoring
- The Freedom Series
- Youth and Sports Mega-Events
Call for Employment: IDEA NY Debate Trainer
Submitted by Marjan Stojnev on 30 July 2012
The International Debate Education Association (IDEA) is now accepting applications for the part-time position of Debate Trainer based in its New York office.
Focusing on youth and their communities, the mission of the International Debate Education Association is to promote mutual understanding and democracy globally by supporting discussion and active citizenship locally. IDEA believes that free and open discussion is essential to the establishment and preservation of open, democratic societies.
The International Debate Education Association (IDEA) New York office, in partnership with the Interfaith Center of New York (ICNY), has established debate clubs at faith-based organizations and community centers for 9th through 12th grade students through its Debate in the Neighborhood (DIN) program. The program aims to take debate beyond the conventional school environment directly to immigrant and first-generation students, giving them access to an enriching educational tradition.
The responsibilities of the Debate Trainer position include:
- Work with IDEA-NY Program Coordinator on creating materials, curriculum and activities for the Debate in the Neighborhood program.
- Implement debate training, including teaching of debate curriculum with participants of DIN.
- Organize and run a final debate tournament for all participants of DIN.
The desired qualifications and attributes include:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher.
- Fluent written and spoken English; additional languages a plus.
- Comfort and experience working in multi-cultural and multi-religious environments.
- Background in debate, preferably with experience debating and/or training internationally.
- Willingness to work on weekends and evenings and if necessary, willingness to travel to various boroughs for debate trainings.
- Ability and willingness to live and work in New York City.
Compensation and start date:
- The position is expected to occupy 20 hours/week from Mid-September to Mid-May.
- Salary will be $1,800/month.
- The position will begin Mid-September.
Please send a letter of interest and a CV including contact information for references to email@example.com. Please use the subject line: NYC Debate Trainer Application