- Site Feedback
- IDEA Sites
- Digital Freedoms
- International Justice
- 2012 Presidential Debates Guide
- Asia Youth Forum
- Big Apple Cogers
- Debate Changing Europe
- Debate in the Neighborhood
- Debating and Producing Media
- Debating the Future of Youth in Africa and Europe
- Dialogue without borders
- Digital Debating Blog
- Free Speech Debate
- Global Youth Forum
- Global Debate and Public Policy Challenge
- International Public Policy Forum
- Online Mentoring
- Securing Liberty Series
- Youth and Sports Mega-Events
- League of Young Voters
4th Intl Conf on Argumentation, Rhetoric, Debate & Pedagogy of Empowerment - Qatar, January 2013
Submitted by Colm Flynn on 10 May 2012
Thinking and Speaking a Better WorldFourth International Conference on Argumentation, Rhetoric, Debate and the Pedagogy of Empowerment 11-13 January 2013, Doha, Qatar Qatar National Convention Center Organized by QatarDebate Center Affiliate organizations:
- -World Debate Institute, University of Vermont, USA
- -Za in Proti Institute for a Culture of Dialogue, Slovenia
- -International Society for the Study of Argumentation, Netherlands
- -International Center for the Advancement of Political Communication and Argumentation, USA WEBSITE http://www.qatardebate.org/en/Home/fourth-ICARD-PE/fourth-ICARD-PE.aspx
The conference will welcome scholars and educators from diverse fields for vigorous dialogue and exchange. This conference will unite scholars of argumentation and rhetoric, teachers, and organizers of local, national and international debating networks to discuss critical thinking and advocacy discourse through pedagogy. We intend for the conference to welcome all who are involved in public discussions and debates about different issues.
This conference is extremely timely. A global information society which seeks reasoned solutions to problems through broad citizen involvement needs to develop and refine techniques for criticizing and validating ideas through discourse and then impart these to new generations of citizens if we are to create a better future and avoid looming crises.
This conference represents a unique opportunity to share ideas, network and cross-fertilize with global critical thinkers. This conference is unique:
- -Civilizations will meet and exchange ideas.
- -Proceedings will be in English and Arabic, simultaneous translation of all events.
- -Hosted in Qatar, one of the most beautiful, safest and international destinations in the world, the center of learning in the Arabic world.
- -All accepted presentations will be published in a printed volume.
Keynote Speakers Argumentation and Rhetoric: Dr. Frans van Eemeren, University of Amsterdam. Dr. Othmane ba Othmane, Saudi Arabia Debate: Dr. Aisha Al Mennai, Qatar Dr. Gordon Mitchell, University of Pittsburgh.
Critical Thinking/Pedagogy: Adiba Shareen, Malaysia Institute for Debate and Public Speaking, Malaysia Arabic Keynote, to be announced soon.
Three previous conferences have been held, one in Koper, Slovenia, one in Ljubljana, Slovenia and the third in Maribor, Slovenia http://debate.uvm.edu/debateblog/better/.
The fourth conference is planned for 11-13 January 2013 in Doha, Qatar. The fourth conference is a unique opportunity to include the rapid scholarly and academic advancement of the Arabic world into this work, pioneered by QatarDebate and the Qatar Foundation. Hundreds of scholars, teachers and students from all over the world have attended and made presentations at the previous conferences. Attendees have come from Australia, Belgium, Belorussia, Canada, Chile, China, Croatia, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, India, Iran, Israel, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, Netherlands, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sudan, Sweden, Uganda, United Kingdom, United States of America, and Venezuela.
We welcome presentations, workshops, and poster sessions in English and Arabic from scholars, teachers and active citizens from around the world. Our goal is to open the way for in-depth discussions, debates, and the sharing of ideas that will enable more enlightened discourse in the 21st Century.
The program for the conference will have three themes. Submissions are encouraged to center their work on one of the three themes and to submit proposals to the appropriate conference division. Interdisciplinary work that might fit into more than one category is very welcome. All parts of the program will involve simultaneous translation using English and Arabic.
- Argumentation and rhetoric. The use of logic and reason to criticize and analyze ideas through communication. Those interested in research on argumentation theory, criticisms of communication acts and scholarship on argumentation practice are encouraged to submit to this division. English - Chair: David Williams, Florida Atlantic University, USA email@example.com, committee members Frans van Eemeren, University of Amsterdam, Satoru Aonuma, Tsuda College, Japan. Arabic – Chair: Abdel Latif Sellami, QatarDebate firstname.lastname@example.org
- Debate. The use of formal argumentation forums to educate and empower citizens. Those interested in work on the practice and theory of debate competition, public debates, research on the impact of debate for participants, and theorizing about debate paradigms are encouraged to submit to this division. English – Chair: Bojana Skrt, ZIP Slovenia email@example.com, committee members Allan Louden, Wake Forest University USA, Steve Woods, Western Washington University. Arabic – Chair: Abdul Gabbar Al Sharafi firstname.lastname@example.org
- Critical thinking/pedagogy. Teaching and the methodology of teaching in the active classroom. Those interested in using debate, discussion and argumentation in classrooms, discussion of experiences and teaching lessons relating to communication and critical thinking are encouraged to submit to this division. English – Chair: Alfred Snider, email@example.com, committee members Debbie Newman, DebateMate, UK, Loke Wing Fatt, SAID, Singapore. Arabic – Chair: Abed Naji Al Sameai firstname.lastname@example.org
Presentation applications due by the end of June 2012Go to the website and download the application form. Decide which committee to submit your application to, fill out the form and send it by email. Make sure to follow instructions. Applications should specify paper presentation, workshop, poster session or panel. US$300 travel grants will be awarded to those with extraordinary presentations who face financial barriers. See website for details.
Registration to attend due by the end of October 2012Those not making presentations are cordially invited to attend, ask questions at sessions and get involved. Based on local costs, the registration for the fourth conference is comparable to the third conference. Payment can be by wire transfer or in cash on arrival. See website for details.
Full Registration: $500 (you get a lot for it)
- -Four nights in a four star hotel (we are negotiating to upgrade to a five star facility).
- -All meals: breakfast and dinner in the hotel, lunch at the conference site, snacks and coffee breaks.
- -Transportation to and from the conference hotel and the Qatar National Convention Center.
- -Admission to all conference events, panels and workshops. -Conference formal dinner. -Visa arrangements ($181 value for USA citizens).
- -Field Trips: Islamic Museum of Art, Desert Safari and other choices.
- -Conference kit and materials along with personal gifts.
Conference Registration only: $150 ($100 students)
- -Admission to all conference events, panels and workshops.
- -Transportation to and from the conference hotel and the Qatar National Convention Center, not available to and from other hotels.
- -Lunch, snacks and coffee breaks during day sessions.
- -Conference formal dinner.
- -Visa arrangements ($181 value for USA citizens).
- -Proof of student status required for student rate.
- -Conference kit and materials along with personal gifts.
Please circulate this information to colleagues and others who might be interested. Feel free to contact me with additional questions (insert your email address). See you in Doha! Alfred C. Snider aka Tuna