Discussion

This house would allow gay couples to marry

22 replies [Last post]

This house would allow gay couples to marry

idea's picture
Offline
Joined: 16 Jun 2011
Posts: 197
Applause: 36

This is a discussion on the Debatabase item titled: This house would allow gay couples to marry.Below is the discussion so far. Feel free to add your own comments!

4 years 39 weeks ago
Alex Helling's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Sep 2011
Posts: 1128
Applause: 107

Discussing point: 'Gay couples should be able to take advantage of the fiscal and legal benefits of marriage'

It looks like even in US states where marriage is not allowed this does not necessarily give all the benefits of marriage. This is because the Defence of Marriage Act denies federal benefits to same sex couples. Now a federal appeals court in Boston has ruled that it is unconstitutional to deny these federal benefits to lawfully married same-sex couples. The federal lawdefines marriage as a union between a man and a woman. However as marriage itself is a matter for state law rather than the federal government some states are moving away from the federal interpretation with some, including Massachusetts, now allowing same sex marriage so creating the issue for the courts. The appeals court decision is likely to result in the case going to the U.S. Supreme Court at some point this year. There are therefore two questions where the Supreme Court may have to rule on gay marriage. The first is whether homosexual couples have a constitutional right to marry and the second us whether once married those couples have the same rights as any other couple.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-court-doma-20120601...

4 years 39 weeks ago
Jake Tian's picture
Offline
Joined: 14 Oct 2012
Posts: 3
Applause: 0

Why not? Marriage is personal business, who is anyone to define what it is for others?

I don't get why there is so much opposition to gay marriage... like it's between consented couples, as well as the fact that it's PERSONAL. I see nothing wrong with an adult who watches pornography for instance; because 1. I have no entitlement to tell him what he's supposed to do more than he telling himself. And 2. That's his own business that doesn't pose a negative effect on anyone else. 3. Why should I care?

Own decisions, own life. I don't see the problem; you may not like gay people, but what's the problem here? Is it really a big deal...? 

 

My stand. 

4 years 20 weeks ago
Gareal Tan's picture
Offline
Joined: 5 Apr 2013
Posts: 1
Applause: 0

Should gay marriage be allowed?

Yes it should. Gays do not choose to be gays, they are born to be gays.[1] They love their partners and would like to get married to get recognition and get legal benefits, just like what straight people would.  They just love partners who happen to be of the same sex. If a heterosexual couple is denied of marriage, they will make a big fuss over it because they do not get to enjoy legal rights to set a family. Do you think it is moral to deny marriage to same-sex couples when they will also feel the same anger and unfairness? 

Some might argue that same-sex couple cannot help in procreation to continue mankind. Married same-sex couple could procreate via surrogacy by involving willing female/male 3rd party. The 3rd party could get monetory benefit or simply just be satisfied and be happy to help other people. 

Married same-sex couples have the same rights as any other couple?

The difference between a married same-sex couple and a married heterosexual couple, is just gender difference. All the other variables are constant (their love for each other, their love for kids, loyalty to state and country, wanting a property, wanting a stable job etc. Im just generalising).  So they should have the same rights as any other married couple. What is the point of having the title of marriage but no power?

 

Reference(s)

[1] http://io9.com/5967426/scientists-confirm-that-homosexuality-is-not-genetic--but-it-arises-in-the-womb

3 years 47 weeks ago
Nute Polin's picture
Offline
Joined: 27 Sep 2016
Posts:
Applause: 0

I'm strongly not IN for gay marriage, thats hilarious, this shouldnt be made legal though its something personal, looking at it from my incentives a man marrying a man would yield nothing, thats silly i still look up to those that count this legal its appaling.

22 weeks 3 days ago
benster56's picture
Offline
Joined: 22 Nov 2012
Posts: 5
Applause: 1

I am strongly for gay marriage.  Despite me being heterosexual, it's the same kind of rights thing that everyone should care about.  I see no difference between straight couples and gay/lesbian couples getting married.  The main problem  is that in the U.S., especially in the south where practically everyone is strongly Christian/conservative, is they think being gay is a choice and a sin.  This, sadly, affects people of all sexualities.  

The idea that homosexual marriage is at ALL emotionallly different from hetero marriage is absurd.  It's not like as soon as you turn gay you get aids.  I know alot of happy gay couples who don't  participate in sexual activities that are dangerous to their bodies.  Or any sexual activities at all, for that matter.  Anyways, that is not a main problem.  

You don't need to like gay marriage to accept it.

Final- STRONGLY FOR

 

4 years 14 weeks ago
anabananabatata's picture
Offline
Joined: 23 Nov 2012
Posts: 1
Applause: 0

well,maybe for certain religions allow to marry with same sex,but for certain did not allow.so we,as a person who did not racist with your own  religion,must think not all religion did the same thing as your religion.so think properly.secondly,how the couples could get an offspring?right?this is because they are from the same sex.we can't do sex with the same sex right.

4 years 14 weeks ago
MaxWell's picture
Offline
Joined: 25 Jan 2013
Posts: 2
Applause: 0

Studies conducted in several countries indicate that support for the legalization of same-sex marriage increases with higher levels of education and that support is strong among younger people.

 

4 years 5 weeks ago
JOEL B's picture
Offline
Joined: 14 Feb 2013
Posts: 36
Applause: 12

As a 13 year old I don't know much about love but I know enough to realise that marrage is about love not who you or your partner is. They should get the same rights as straight people.

But I do slightly think they shouldn't get married in Christian Churches but on the other hand if they said Aisian or black people coudn't get married there would be an uproar. Its discrimination!

4 years 2 weeks ago
Rhian Lewis's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Mar 2013
Posts: 1
Applause: 0

Marriage is an important institution that should be cherished and promoted. When two people love each other and are willing to commit publicly to a lifelong relationship, society is enriched and strengthened. As such, marriage should be open to all, regardless of sexuality.

 

3 years 50 weeks ago
Steven Malkovich's picture
Offline
Joined: 18 Mar 2013
Posts: 6
Applause: 0

Should marriage be at all inside the scope of law? It could easily be dropped out and people would instead of legally marrying do a few legal actions (name change, property over various possessions, child custody, will) and it would amount to the same, and no one would be descriminated against.

3 years 49 weeks ago
sarah_nurhalizah's picture
Offline
Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Posts: 4
Applause: 2

obviously someone need married for have a new family or have a child. it will be weird if this house would allow gay couples to marry. if some gay couple married, they are cannot reproduce kid. having a kid is from woman and man having "sex". obviously they can adopted a children but children need their mother and need their father. if there is no one of them, what will be? they can't fulfilled their needs. guy have a really hard hearth. if their child need something, and them parents won't. the children will pushed and their parents will be snap them. finally, their children can be runaway and really sad. so i disagree that this house would allow gay couples to marry.

3 years 37 weeks ago
KateDebate's picture
Offline
Joined: 27 Mar 2012
Posts: 230
Applause: 17

sarah_nurhalizah wrote:

obviously they can adopted a children but children need their mother and need their father. if there is no one of them, what will be? they can't fulfilled their needs. guy have a really hard hearth.

I have always thought this is a really odd argument. How often is an adopted child being taken away from a place where they have a mother and a father? I imagine it does occasionally happen but most of the time one parent (or two of the same sex) will be an improvement over none at all.

sarah_nurhalizah wrote:
if their child need something, and them parents won't. the children will pushed and their parents will be snap them. finally, their children can be runaway and really sad.

I dont understand why this should be any different for gay parents, please explain. I should think there would be no difference but if there is one I would think that gay adopting parents would be less likely to snap at their children as they have something to prove (that they can be good parents).

3 years 37 weeks ago
Sembuh Total's picture
Offline
Joined: 4 Sep 2015
Posts: 2
Applause: 0

TBC ini paling sering menyerang organ paru-paru meskipun pada sepertiga kasus menyerang bagian tubuh lain serta bisa menular dapat diatasi dengan obat tbc paru.

obat tradisional kanker prostat mencegah sel  kanker ini dapat menyebar dengan cara metastasis dari prostat menuju bagian tubuh lainnya.

obat jantung koroner tradisional dapat menurunkan kandungan kolesterol total serta kolesterol LDL dan bisa meningkatkan kolesterol HDL.

1 year 25 weeks ago
Laura Czyps's picture
Offline
Joined: 14 May 2013
Posts: 3
Applause: 1

sarah_nurhalizah wrote:

obviously someone need married for have a new family or have a child. it will be weird if this house would allow gay couples to marry. 

I'd like to ask you if everbody nowadays who has children is married. No. There are divorced couples, unmarried couples, single parents and I guess these children are much more likely to have problems or run away as their needs are not fulfilled than children of happy couples. And this does not depends on the gender but on the way parents treat their child. There are also single lone fathers who do a great job altough they have no mother. So why should be two fathers who love each other worse than just one? Isn't it much more hard for a child to know that somewhere out there is a mother who didn't like to spend time with the child, or has died or any other reason why she can't fulfill her duty towards the child?

The legalization of gay marriage is not just a step you can vote for, it mainly happens in the head of the people. Just take a look at France, it was legalized and what do the people do? They demonstrate against it. And if marriage is defined as holy longterm alliance between persons of different sex, then you will have to question also the institutions in Las Vegas. I mean, how realistic is it to believe that such a marriage lasts more than a few hours, days or in the best case weeks. Sure, there are always exceptions but that's the minority. And this is more acceptable than marriage which probably lasts forever between sam-sex couples? 

3 years 37 weeks ago
Yisroel Greenberg's picture
Offline
Joined: 30 May 2013
Posts: 3
Applause: 0

Laura Czyps wrote:

The legalization of gay marriage is not just a step you can vote for, it mainly happens in the head of the people.

Laura Czyps wrote:

I'd like to ask you if everbody nowadays who has children is married. No.

As you correctly point out, marriage means different things to different people. You also say that nowadays there is less of a link between children and marriage. But these two points don't quite work together.

If what you mean is that TO YOU there is no link between children and marriage, or that there is no such link in your country (I don't know where that may be), I'm sure you're right. But there are plenty of people - often, though not always, from religious groups - who have a different understanding of what marriage is supposed to be. So it is reasonable for those people to oppose gay marriage? Isn't it just being consistent with their understanding of the world? (I'm quite sure they would be against a lot of what happens in Las Vegas, too.)

3 years 36 weeks ago
Fern's picture
Offline
Joined: 5 Jul 2013
Posts: 1
Applause: 0

I am against to the motion because, every woman is made to be with a man and every man is made to be with a woman. How can gay people get married if they can't even make an offspring?

3 years 34 weeks ago
Shayne9913's picture
Offline
Joined: 8 Sep 2013
Posts: 6
Applause: 0

     I  do not quite understand how this is to be a general rule made by nature. From what you have wrote, it seems to me that you believe gay people go against the laws of nature. However, it comes to me that then, by your logic, those who are divorced or those who don't even make offsprings should be illegalized also.(Of course, it should not be made illegal) Offsprings are not the only things we must focus on when talking about marriage. The differences between women and men should not be how we decide the issue of gay marriage on.

3 years 25 weeks ago
Sultan Issakov's picture
Offline
Joined: 12 Sep 2013
Posts: 2
Applause: 0

Same-sex marriages should not be allowed because it may destroy he institute of marriage. I mean that from the ancient times, marrige was the action between man and woman, so the same-sex marriages should not be allowed!

3 years 24 weeks ago
Alex Helling's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Sep 2011
Posts: 1128
Applause: 107

Without some suggestion about how same sex marriages destroy the 'institute of marriage' this is not a particularly useful comment. Marriage is not an unchanging institution which has always been the same. You talk about the ancient world; in that world polygamy was pretty much normal, whereas in much of the world it is banned today (though there are still places where it is pretty normal). Essentially allowing same sex marriage seems to simply be an evolution of the institution rather than something that destroys it. In practice allowing same sex marriage has no impact at all on those who want a 'traditional' marriage while providing for equality for those who were previously excluded; with this in mind how does it destroy marriage as an institution?

3 years 24 weeks ago
Will Tolcher's picture
Offline
Joined: 22 Aug 2013
Posts: 20
Applause: 0

Also, there are other issues in the legal issue on same sex marriage. Was marriage fundamentally changed in England and Wales when, in 1991, it was determined that marital rape was illegal when previously it was not?

3 years 24 weeks ago
Sultan Issakov's picture
Offline
Joined: 12 Sep 2013
Posts: 2
Applause: 0

But what about if such unions want to have children? you can suggest adoption, yes, it is good idea for children in orphanage houses but you know the society. for the majority of our society same-sex marriages is something strange. So, people will mock on adopted children and this will break children's mind. I think that it is not good idea about same-sex marriages!

3 years 22 weeks ago
Alex Helling's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Sep 2011
Posts: 1128
Applause: 107

Sultan Issakov wrote:

for the majority of our society same-sex marriages is something strange. 

This will only change if it becomes more common. Also something being strange should not mean it is unwelcome. At one time black people were considered strange in Europe and white people were in East Asia, that is to be expected as there was little experience of people of little colour. Now most people dont regard it as strange. In much the same way we regard new things as strange; the iron horse was initially considered strange and dangerous, now trains are used by hundreds of millions of people every day.

In short your argument is a circular argument that you want to keep things strange and they will remain strange because they remain unusual.

3 years 22 weeks ago
Syndicate content