- Site Feedback
- IDEA Sites
- Digital Freedoms
- 2012 Presidential Debates Guide
- Asia Youth Forum
- Big Apple Cogers
- Debate Changing Europe
- Debate in the Neighborhood
- Debating and Producing Media
- Debating the Future of Youth in Africa and Europe
- Digital Debating Blog
- Free Speech Debate
- Global Youth Forum
- Global Debate and Public Policy Challenge
- International Public Policy Forum
- Online Mentoring
- The Freedom Series
- Youth and Sports Mega-Events
Employment & Opportunities
Job Title: Internship Program
Salary: Daily travel expenses
Job Details: The México - America Latina office of the International Debate Education Association is seeking highly qualified and motivated interns with diverse backgrounds into the Organisation to work on projects linked to the strategic orientation of the general management.
Find out more here.
Executive Director for office in Tunisia
IDEA Central is seeking to appoint an Executive Director for its office in Tunisia responsible for developing its activities in the MENA (Middle East and North Africa) region, setting out a plan for the development of a long-term strategy, including branding, promotion and sustainability of the IDEA Tunisia office and its regional programming. The Managing Director will report to the Board of Directors of IDEA Tunisia.
IDEA Central is the umbrella organisation for a network of non-profit organisations that promote debate and youth engagement in more than 50 countries throughout the world. The IDEA network has its principal offices in New York, Amsterdam, London and Brussels, with other offices in China, Latin America, south-east Europe and Central Asia.
Find out more here.
IDEA Beijing Director
IDEA Consulting (Beijing) Company, Ltd (“IDEA Beijing”) is looking for a Director who will be responsible for developing a long-term vision for the organisation as well as developing and coordinating the work of IDEA in China.
Application Deadline: 23 Nov 2012
Starting date: December 2012
IDEA Beijing, registered as a wholly foreign-owned enterprise in Beijing, serves as the Chinese representative for a network of organisations that promote debate education and youth engagement in over 50 countries throughout the world. The IDEA network has main offices in Brussels, New York, Amsterdam, and London, as well as other offices in Latin America, Southeast Europe, Central Asia and Middle East and North Africa.
Find out more here.
Job Title: Youth Forum Intern
Salary: Lunch/travel expenses/expenses of the events organised
The London office of the International Debate Education Association is seeking an intern to help with organizing our flagship event the IDEA Youth Forum.
This year’s Youth Forum is being held in Galway, Ireland, from the 13th to 26th August. The Youth Forum in Galway will be the 19th Youth Forum and will involve 250 young people from over 40 countries. The forum provides several tracks of debate training for those with all levels of experience in debating and debate competitions in several debate formats. The Forum is also an opportunity for cultural exchange between the participants.
As you will be helping to organise the event you will of course have the opportunity to be involved in the event itself. You will also be able to go to the Asia Youth Forum that is taking place in Kyrgyzstan in April.
The kind of things we are looking for help with:
- Corresponding with applicants to the forums; answering their questions, sorting out problems etc.
- Helping organise participants travel and transport
- Dealing with financial payments, receiving registration, issuing receipts etc.
- Working with the Youth Forum Director on ah-hoc tasks.
- We are looking for someone who will be able to commit a lot of time to this project over a reasonably long period of time from March through the build up to the forum to the end of August.
- Foreign languages, particularly Russian due to the Asia Youth Forum being in Kyrgyzstan, are a plus and may expand your opportunities. Good English language skills are essential.
- As a debating charity having a background in debate or similar activities such as mooting would be useful.
You will be based at IDEA’s office in Shoreditch, London EC2, near Old Street and Liverpool Street underground and National Rail stations so if applying must live in the London and South East England area. IDEA will cover reasonable expenses, including travel and lunches.
Closing Date: 12th February 2013
Interview: Feb 18th
Start Date: March 4th
How to apply: Please send a CV and a short statement with why you are interested in the role to firstname.lastname@example.org
Writing for Debatabase.
IDEA’s topic for this year (both for the Youth Forum and Asia Youth Forum) is digital freedoms and so we are working on a project with the open society foundation to have fifty Debatabase debates written on digital freedoms issues. The topic areas include privacy, access to knowledge and information, intellectual property, transparency and freedom of information. We are therefore looking for anyone who would be interested in writing Debatabase debates on these topics.
The main requirement to write debates is that you are able to write well and make concise arguments (this helps you too as you then don’t need to write as much!) In practice this will usually mean you either have a degree or are a student working towards getting one. Being a debater would probably be useful but is not essential. What matters to IDEA is that the debates are of a high quality. Our editors will check any debates that you submit to us and will send back suggestions for how the debate can be improved.
IDEA will pay a small amount for writing these debates, though only after we have accepted the debate as being finished to a sufficiently high standard that the debate can be added to the Debatabase and only through paypal (outside UK – the costs of transferring small amounts internationally is prohibitive).
If you are interested in finding out a bit more about writing a Debatabase debate then please take a look at the guide to writing debatabase debates.
If you are interested in finding out what motions we have available for writing please visit our selecting topics page.
Finally if you have any questions or want to apply please email email@example.com
Arabic Programmes Intern
The London office of the International Debate Education Association, part of a global network dedicated to inspiring informed discussion through teaching debate to young people in over 50 countries around the world, is seeking an Arabic speaker to work as an intern to support IDEA’s engagement with the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region princibly with the creation of an Arabic language website.
IDEA offices around the world implement youth-centred programs and initiatives, with a special focus on developing young people’s civic skills, empowerment of young people (particularly young people from disadvantaged and marginalized backgrounds), engaging young people in community and building trust between young people and the authorities. IDEA provides trainings, develops curricula, organises events and provides assistance and support to national and local youth and debate initiatives.
The position is based in Shoreditch, London EC2, near Old Street and Liverpool Street underground and National Rail stations. IDEA will cover reasonable expenses, including travel and lunches.
In order to apply, send a CV to Alex Helling at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The intern's role will include tasks such as:
- Assist with the localisation and translation of current idebate.org content
- Assist with the creation of new MENA-specific content for our Arabic website
- Assist with the identification of potential partners in the MENA region
- Assist with training programmes in the MENA region
- The candidates must be either currently studying at a university towards a degree or have at least an undergraduate degree.
- The candidates must have an excellent command of English and Arabic
- A background in debating, competitive, organising, or coaching, will be considered a plus.
- Experience in blogging or other online content editing will be considered a plus.
- The successful candidate must have the right to work in the United Kingdom.
The working hours and commitment per week are flexible.
The International Debate Education Association is an equal opportunity employer; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
IDEA New York
The International Debate Education Association (IDEA) is now accepting applications for the part-time position of Debate Trainer based in its New York office.
Focusing on youth and their communities, the mission of the International Debate Education Association is to promote mutual understanding and democracy globally by supporting discussion and active citizenship locally. IDEA believes that free and open discussion is essential to the establishment and preservation of open, democratic societies.
The International Debate Education Association (IDEA) New York office, in partnership with the Interfaith Center of New York (ICNY), has established debate clubs at faith-based organizations and community centers for 9th through 12th grade students through its Debate in the Neighborhood (DIN) program. The program aims to take debate beyond the conventional school environment directly to immigrant and first-generation students, giving them access to an enriching educational tradition.
You can learn more about IDEA and its programs on its website at www.idebate.org and more on the Debate in the Neighborhood program at din.idebate.org.
The responsibilities of the Debate Trainer position include:
- Work with IDEA-NY Program Coordinator on creating materials, curriculum and activities for the Debate in the Neighborhood program.
- Implement debate training, including teaching of debate curriculum with participants of DIN.
- Organize and run a final debate tournament for all participants of DIN.
The desired qualifications and attributes include:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher.
- Fluent written and spoken English; additional languages a plus.
- Comfort and experience working in multi-cultural and multi-religious environments.
- Background in debate, preferably with experience debating and/or training internationally.
- Willingness to work on weekends and evenings and if necessary, willingness to travel to various boroughs for debate trainings.
- Ability and willingness to live and work in New York City.
Compensation and start date:
- The position is expected to occupy 20 hours/week from Mid-September to Mid-May.
- Salary will be $1,800/month.
- The position will begin Mid-September.
Please send a letter of interest and a CV including contact information for references to email@example.com. Please use the subject line: NYC Debate Trainer Application
Want to know more about how debate works, why it's so great or how you can get involved?
iDebate Press publishes books on debating and its various formats, contemporary controversies and topics related to young people.
With your help, IDEA can continue to reach out to those who are hard to reach, can give something invaluable to those who have so little and can help inspire young leaders around the world.